bought NTGR (Netgear) @$43. This came up on my screen last week and I had a good until cancelled limit order on it. The stock is no longer on the screen but I'm comfortable holding it for a while a to see what happens.
C (Citigroup) @$52.19 for a loss of 1.1% in about 8 months
DF (Dean Foods) @$17.17 for a loss of 8.4% in about 1 month
NCI (Navigant Consulting) @$16.31 for a gain of 14.5% in about 8 months
These all had red elder bars on the daily chart today and a bearish weekly chart. This being the last trading day of the year had nothing to do with the sells. I am down to three of a maximum ten positions.
I've been mostly out of stocks since the beginning of the year. I still own positions in EIG, NTGR, and PRE. PRE is in the process of being bought and the deal should be finalized soon. With my new purchase of UIHC I will have 4 of a maximum of 10 positions.
GM crossed above the 200-day SMA recently. www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=gm It has a low payout ratio and high yield 4.72%. There are other fundamental criteria I like. See link above.
My trading strategy is the same as I am using on the EEM trade. When the 50-day SMA is below the 200-day SMA then that is my stop. When the 50-day SMA crosses above the 200-day SMA the 200 day SMA becomes my stop.
Sold EEM @ $33.11 for a loss of 2.6%. The etf crossed below the 200-day moving average that was the stop I adjusted to this weekend.
Three of the five etfs (EEM, IWM, and QQQ) I have been tracking are now below the 200-day sma. DIA and SPY are both above the 200-day sma. I'm just not interested in put any more money into volatile small or midcap stocks right now.
My current holdings are EIG, NTGR, UIHC (I have a stop loss just below the 200-day sma for this), MGLN (reports on Thursday) and F. I do not like using stop losses but if the markets are setting up for another major correction I don't want to be in front of it.
Sold IWM @110.35 for a loss of 1.5%. It crossed below the 200-day SMA yesterday but I didn't have a stop loss set. The 200-day SMA is currently at $110.40. It may cross back above tomorrow but I think the downside risk outweighs the potential reward right now.
I only have five equity positions right now. F, LEA, BCOR, QVCA, and CSCO. I am not sure what I'm going to do with F and LEA but both are getting slammed because of there UK and EU exposure. F does 16% of its business in the UK.
bought MET (Metlife Inc) @$38.78. This stock has been in decline but it has a low PE 8.46, low forward PE 6.61, PEG .68, PS .63, PB .57, and P/FCF 4.23. www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=met This could be a value trap but I believe they will weather the storm.
Sold BCOR (Blucora Inc.) @$11.40 for a gain of 32.6% in about 8 weeks. Blucora had made an agreement to sell Infospace for cash and the acquiring company would assume some of Blucora's debt. I really couldn't find enough information to make an educated assessment of the deal so I decided to take my profit.